Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesspacerRegisterLog in

Fuckity fuck fuck.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Fuckity fuck fuck. Empty
PostSubject: Fuckity fuck fuck.   Fuckity fuck fuck. EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 3:05 pm

Well Guys, I really fucked up this time. I was installing a patch for a game (FFVII Very Happy:D:D) and the patch apparently removed ALL of my XP boot files. I am currently scared silly of shutting down my computer. If anyone knows how to fix this WITHOUT shutting down my computer, Then PLEASE tell me. I know how to fix it if I shut it down, But I am half afraid something else might be fucked up, Like my install disk or something.

Help?
Back to top Go down
Liz the Web Mistress
.:Inevitable Leader:.
.:Inevitable Leader:.
Liz the Web Mistress

Number of posts : 188
Location : On the battlefield, stuffing bodies into her massive woodchipper.
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Fuckity fuck fuck. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuckity fuck fuck.   Fuckity fuck fuck. EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 3:25 pm

You need a boot disc! D:
Back to top Go down
http://inevitable.heavenforum.com

Fuckity fuck fuck. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuckity fuck fuck.   Fuckity fuck fuck. EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 4:48 pm

I has one. I just don't want to run the risk of me never being able to access my HDD again, Which is why my computer is still on. Been on for about 36 hours now. My dad has just told me what I need to do to fix it if it comes down to me completely re-doing my computer. Gonna be a pain in the ass. I just wanted to know if anyone (SNARES?) Might know. 🤷
Back to top Go down
snares
Enigmatic
snares

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Fuckity fuck fuck. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuckity fuck fuck.   Fuckity fuck fuck. EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 2:39 am

Ouch, dude you got humped!!!
How the hell did that happen?

As for fixes without a reboot, gonna be a tough one.
assuming your using Windows XP?

You could try a system restore?

Or you could try the following :
From inside of windows, go to Start, then Run, then type (no quotes) "sfc /scannow". That's the system file checker, it verifies all files and replaces any with errors.

Other than that, i dont see any fast means of getting those files back without a reboot.
Probibly the easiest way would be to reboot with your Windows CD in the drive (i hope your running windows XP, if its Vista the fix might be different).
Make sure the PC is set to boot from CD (Usually F1 during initial set-up to access the BIOS information, check boot-start-up sequence has CD_ROM listed first).
Once that is checked, Windows will detect the XP disc in thed drive and give you the prompt 'Press any key to boot from CD', do that and it will take you to the XP set-up screen, from there you can choose to repair the installed copy of windows.

This should simply scan and amend the changes and thus fix your windows without you losing any files.

Quote :
1. Insert your original Windows XP CD. You still have the CD, right? 2. Restart your computer, and, when prompted, press any key to boot off the CD. 3. You'll get to a screen that talks about the recovery console. Skip that, and proceed like you're going to install windows again. Don't worry, you're not going to lose anything. 4. After the license agreement, you'll get a screen that lists the partitions on your hard drive. There should be only one. If there's more than one, choose the one that you know has windows on it, or choose the largest one. Then, if memory serves correct, you're to press enter to install windows to the partition (that's NOT what we want) or to press 'R' to repair. That's what we want. 5. Follow the rest of the directions.

Of course as you have the PC running, i'd definatly suggest backing up your important files now, just in case there are any problems and you have to reformat.

I hope it all goes smoothly for you bud, keep us posted.

Still cant get my head around how that happened, lol, a game install shouldnt mess with your windows files like that, let alone remove a whole chunk of em. Thats pretty fucked up!
Back to top Go down

Fuckity fuck fuck. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuckity fuck fuck.   Fuckity fuck fuck. EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 2:32 pm

Thanks for that. I just found out that as long as my XP Pro disk is in the drive, I can restart safely. heh.

Anyways, I will try what you said, Thanks.

*Huggles*
Back to top Go down

Fuckity fuck fuck. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuckity fuck fuck.   Fuckity fuck fuck. EmptySat Dec 27, 2008 10:32 pm

*sigh*

Well, My computer died.

Period.

Managed to save my 10gigs of music + firefox stuff before I had to reformat and re-install XP. So as of right now, I have no games on my computer. Not planning on putting any on atm either.

*sigh*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fuckity fuck fuck. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuckity fuck fuck.   Fuckity fuck fuck. Empty

Back to top Go down

Fuckity fuck fuck.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: .:Randomness:. :: General-
Jump to: